Recently we were talking about sensory gardens for children on The Jenny Evolution. But when I saw the fairy garden, I thought what fun it would be to make our own DIY Fairy Door!
Now I have boys so you may think that the last things boys want to do is make a fairy door. You couldn’t be more wrong!
When I asked them if they wanted to make a magical door with me, their eyes absolutely lit up. We were all so excited that we decided to make ones for the neighbor girls as well.
This project is really easy and incredibly fun! Here are the materials you’ll need. This post contains affiliate links.
How to Make Your Own Fairy Door
- Wood Craft Sticks
- Glitter (or glitter glue sticks, which is what we used)
- Decorative buttons or gems
1. Line up the wood sticks to match the length of one craft stick.
2. Place glue on the cross-wise stick and place it across the other sticks. Repeat.
3. Wait for the new fairy door to dry before decorating. Otherwise, it will shift and come apart… quite upsetting for a little fairy lover.
4. Once the door is dry, decorate at will! Just a note — We prefer the glitter glue sticks because it’s much less messy. And seriously, who doesn’t love glitter.
Spread the Fairy Magic!
My boys were SO happy to decorate their own doors. Can you guess which ones are theirs? Oh yes, the junkier the better from these boys’ perspectives.
We also made some additional doors for the neighborhood girls. The boys decided the girls would like something cleaner and simpler, so that’s what we made for them.
Because it’s been raining cats and dogs the last several weeks, we decided that we would not keep our fairy doors connected to the trees (although that’s the perfect spot for them). Instead, we put them right next to our actual doors. See the little pink door next to the main entrance?
We also decided to spread the fairy magic and delivered the additional fairy doors to our neighbors. We’re all keeping our fingers crossed that the fairies find the doors and decide to come visit!
The Fairies Visit!
Tomorrow I’m expecting a very important package containing the fairy gifts for the kiddos. I actually ordered these adorable colorful flower wind spinners that I will sneak into their front yard one night next week. Can’t wait to hear the stories from the other families!