August 28, 2014
by Jennifer Hughes
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf Success® Rice. All opinions are completely my own.
If you’re anything like me, you don’t have a lot of free time to spend in the kitchen getting dinner ready on the weekdays. Most nights, I’m just happy to get something healthy in front of my family that everyone will eat. I’m all about simple dinner recipes!
When Success asked me to try out one of their rice packages, I had to say yes. Rice in a bag that comes out perfectly that the family will like? Sign me up.
But they threw in a twist. Instead of trying out the regular rice, they asked me to make one of my go-to simple dinner recipes with a more exotic rice, like their Success® Jasmine Rice or Success® Basmati Rice. Will the family like it? Challenge accepted.
Turkey Sausage One-Dish Dinner
For this challenge, I decided to make a staple in my house… my turkey sausage one-dish dinner. While I use turkey sausage, you can just as easily use thinly sliced turkey breasts for a lower-fat option.
If you know me, you know that I believe in making things as uncomplicated as possible. Complex recipes are great for chefs but not necessarily realistic for busy moms. You can pull this dinner together in less than 15 minutes. I’m not kidding!
What you’ll need:
- Package of turkey sausage
- 6 oz snow peas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 package Success® Basmati Rice
- Olive oil or cooking spray
1. Start the water for the Success® Basmati Rice.
2. Either spray your skillet with cooking spray or put in a dash of olive oil to coat the pan. Heat up a skillet to medium high heat.
3. While the skillet is heating, cut up the turkey sausage into 1/4 inch pieces. Toss in the turkey sausage and turn over/stir every couple of minutes.
4. By now your water should be boiling. Put in the Success® Basmati Rice and make per the directions.
Just boil the water and drop in the bag of rice. It’s that simple.
5. While the turkey sausage is cooking, cut up the bell pepper into large chunks or pieces.
6. By now, the sausage should start getting browned a bit. Put in the snow peas. Stir the dish constantly. Only cook the snow peas for 2 minutes. You want to see the peas turn a darker shade of green but you also want them to stay crispy.
The snow peas will quickly change color to a deeper green. Be sure not to overcook them or they will get soggy. You want to keep them crisp.
7. Toss in the bell pepper. Keep stirring for 2 more minutes. The snow peas should still be crispy, as well as the bell pepper.
The bell pepper cooks extremely quickly. If the pepper starts to lose it’s color, stop cooking. Otherwise the pepper will not be crisp.
8. In a bowl, place a serving of the Success® Basmati Rice at the bottom. Place the dish from the skillet on top and serve immediately.
A one-dish meal that’s simple and the entire family will love.
The Verdict from the Family
I wasn’t sure if my boys would like the Success® Basmati Rice. I hate to admit it, but I haven’t really exposed them to different types of rice. However, I shouldn’t have worried. After dinner, both my kids told me their favorite part of the meal was the new rice. I can’t make this stuff up, folks!
We definitely have a new rice for the house. Success® Basmati Rice is the only boil-in-bag Basmati rice available. That means no mess, no measuring with fully cooked rice in 10 minutes. It was ridiculously easy to make and super yummy. What’s not to like? The rice looks tiny in the bag, but don’t be fooled. When you cook it, it elongates 3-4 times in length so it comes out long and slender.
There are four different varieties, including Success® Whole Grain Brown Rice, Success® White Rice, Success® Thai Jasmine and the one we tried — Success® Basmati Rice. It certainly was a success swapping one of our go-to rice dishes with a more aromatic variety. You can learn more about these varieties at Success Rice.
For even more recipe inspiration, like and follow Success Rice’s social pages: http://www.facebook.com/successrice; @Success_Rice; and http://www.pinterest.com/successrice/.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RICE DISH?
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf Success® Rice.